Goa's Accessible Beach Fest - A review by Sunita Sancheti
April 21, 2017
Goa is a destination which is an all time favourite for all. Around the world, people want to visit Goa.
I have been to Goa several times with cousins and friends, but this time the excitement of going to Goa was different.
Umoja had planned an accessible beach fest from 31 March to 9 April 2017, and the word 'accessible' made me feel WOW!
How was it accessible I am sure you would like to know.
To begin with, we stayed at Silver Sands hotel, which is just across Candolim beach. The hotel had portable ramps, and instructions were given to the staff about our requirements. There was accessible internal transport as well.
Candolim beach had a ramp from the entrance to the shore. I could smell the sea water, feel the breeze and of course the hot and fuming sun was also waiting for us.
The ramp was 200 metres long and 1.5 metres wide. Once you are on the beach, it is so tempting to get into the water and there was a floating wheelchair.
All measures were there like safety belts. There were also life guards with us so they checked how deep into the sea we wanted to go.
The ramp was convenient for the visually impaired too as they could easily find their way. Many local special schools were part of this festival too and there was a sign language interpreter to explain activities to the hearing impaired.
It was an inclusive event in every sense with senior citizens enjoying using the ramp to reach the shore easily.
Neenu Kewlani, who is my best friend, hosted the event along with me and it was a wonderful experience!
About the Writer
Sunita Sancheti is an active participant in all the activities associated with empowering and improving the quality of life of people with spinal injury. She co-hosted the Accessible Beach fest in Goa organized by Umoja. Umoja plans to have many such fests and would like to have suggestions from you.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 13, 2019 Decoding Dementia
- Headlines June 14, 2019 India Vs New Zealand abandoned due to rain
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Bengal doctors reject Mamata Banerjee's plea to call off strike
- Get-hooked June 11, 2019 Church in Ireland cancels invite to priest for comparing kids with autism to animals
- Technology June 13, 2019 #TechThursdays - EMx turns the spotlight on early intervention & inclusive education in the 3rd edition
- Accessibility June 17, 2019 Tyre maker Goodyear partners with NAB to conduct road safety training in Delhi for blind people
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Why my dad's my superhero - Father's Day Tributes
- Headlines June 13, 2019 Outrage over Pakistani ad mocking Indian pilot
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Understanding Fibromyalgia
- Headlines June 13, 2019 Gujarat on high alert for cyclone
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News