Empowering people with disabilities with skills - My Take by Dr Jitendra Aggarwal
April 29, 2017
I was a Dental Surgeon for six years. In 2004 I lost my central vision due to macular degeneration and had to discontinue my practice.
During this period, I realized dependency is the biggest trauma that People with Disabilities face. So I thought of a platform where this dependency can be cured. This is how Sarthak came into being.
Through our Early Intervention and Inclusive Education initiatives, we have reached out to over 700 people with disabilities, and over 300 of them are children with special needs.
At the Sarthak Skill Development Centres, we have successfully trained 4,550 PwDs candidates in the sectors of tourism and hospitality, organized retail, and IT/ ITes with the extended support of your prominent funding partners like Tech Mahindra Foundation, National Skill Development Corporation, Capgemini, Microsoft, and many others.
We have also organized over 100 job fairs in 21 states to provide employment opportunities to those people with disabilities who already have the required skills. Through these job fairs and skill centers, over 7,200 PwDs have found employment in more than 300+ corporate houses viz,. Aegis, Genpact, Hotel Lemon Tree, Starwoods, Tata Westside, Vodafone, Airtel, and others. We envisage to empower 20,000 People with Disabilities by the year 2020.
About the Writer
Dr Jitendra Aggarwal is the founder & CEO of Sarthak Educational Trust and Secretary General, National Abilympic Association of India. He is working on the principle of empowering PwD through Intervention, Inclusive Education, Skill Development, Placement, and Advocacy Generation.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 13, 2019 Read for Mental Health
- Get-hooked June 12, 2019 Providing service with care & compassion is the mantra for Walktors At Home
- Headlines June 14, 2019 Sania Mirza slams TV ads ahead of India-Pak match
- Headlines June 19, 2019 Aussie player Steve Smith praises Virat
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Virat Kohli fastest to score 11,000 ODI runs
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Bengal doctors' protest spreads to other cities
- Get-hooked June 13, 2019 Feeling body positive when you have a disability
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Pakistan under pressure ahead of India match
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Why my dad's my superhero - Father's Day Tributes
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Understanding Fibromyalgia
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News