Empowering people with disabilities with skills - My Take by Dr Jitendra Aggarwal
April 29, 2017
I was a Dental Surgeon for six years. In 2004 I lost my central vision due to macular degeneration and had to discontinue my practice.
During this period, I realized dependency is the biggest trauma that People with Disabilities face. So I thought of a platform where this dependency can be cured. This is how Sarthak came into being.
Through our Early Intervention and Inclusive Education initiatives, we have reached out to over 700 people with disabilities, and over 300 of them are children with special needs.
At the Sarthak Skill Development Centres, we have successfully trained 4,550 PwDs candidates in the sectors of tourism and hospitality, organized retail, and IT/ ITes with the extended support of your prominent funding partners like Tech Mahindra Foundation, National Skill Development Corporation, Capgemini, Microsoft, and many others.
We have also organized over 100 job fairs in 21 states to provide employment opportunities to those people with disabilities who already have the required skills. Through these job fairs and skill centers, over 7,200 PwDs have found employment in more than 300+ corporate houses viz,. Aegis, Genpact, Hotel Lemon Tree, Starwoods, Tata Westside, Vodafone, Airtel, and others. We envisage to empower 20,000 People with Disabilities by the year 2020.
About the Writer
Dr Jitendra Aggarwal is the founder & CEO of Sarthak Educational Trust and Secretary General, National Abilympic Association of India. He is working on the principle of empowering PwD through Intervention, Inclusive Education, Skill Development, Placement, and Advocacy Generation.
Watch in Sign Language
- Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
April 20, 2019
- Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
April 20, 2019
- #AutismPower - Five takeaways from a run with Varun Sawant by Vineet Saraiwala
April 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 #GetMoneywise - Financial planning mistakes parents with disabled children typically make
- Headlines April 19, 2019 ‘Kalank’ is highest grosser on opening day for 2019
- Parasports April 17, 2019 London will now host the ninth World Para Swimming Championship
- Events April 15, 2019 NALS Adventure Camp
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Shatrughan Sinha's wife joins Samajwadi Party
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan pays 70 crore tax
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Expectations from the next government of India - My Take by Jasmina Khanna
- Accessibility April 20, 2019 In a first, residents of a mental health centre in Chennai cast their votes. Here's how it happened
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Make comedy film on PM Modi: Urmila Matondkar
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Voting in second phase of elections today
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News