Empowering people with disabilities with skills - My Take by Dr Jitendra Aggarwal
I was a Dental Surgeon for six years. In 2004 I lost my central vision due to macular degeneration and had to discontinue my practice.
During this period, I realized dependency is the biggest trauma that People with Disabilities face. So I thought of a platform where this dependency can be cured. This is how Sarthak came into being.
Through our Early Intervention and Inclusive Education initiatives, we have reached out to over 700 people with disabilities, and over 300 of them are children with special needs.
At the Sarthak Skill Development Centres, we have successfully trained 4,550 PwDs candidates in the sectors of tourism and hospitality, organized retail, and IT/ ITes with the extended support of your prominent funding partners like Tech Mahindra Foundation, National Skill Development Corporation, Capgemini, Microsoft, and many others.
We have also organized over 100 job fairs in 21 states to provide employment opportunities to those people with disabilities who already have the required skills. Through these job fairs and skill centers, over 7,200 PwDs have found employment in more than 300+ corporate houses viz,. Aegis, Genpact, Hotel Lemon Tree, Starwoods, Tata Westside, Vodafone, Airtel, and others. We envisage to empower 20,000 People with Disabilities by the year 2020.
About the Writer
Dr Jitendra Aggarwal is the founder & CEO of Sarthak Educational Trust and Secretary General, National Abilympic Association of India. He is working on the principle of empowering PwD through Intervention, Inclusive Education, Skill Development, Placement, and Advocacy Generation.
Watch in Sign Language
- Expert cook & entrepreneur - Deeja juggles roles with ease
February 20, 2019
- Know how Serotonin affects your mental health
February 19, 2019
- Here is how caregivers can avoid being burned out
February 19, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 14, 2019 Special Day Outing For Special Families
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Wheelchair etiquettes matter. Here is how to follow them.
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism in girls
- Parasports February 17, 2019 Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
- Parasports February 18, 2019 Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
- Accessibility February 17, 2019 Accessible parking still remains distant dream for people with disabilities
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Vande Bharat Express breaks down a day after launch
- Headlines February 14, 2019 CAG report on Rafale deal brings relief to Modi government
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Kashmir attack - Pakistan under pressure to end support to terror groups
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 #LovePossible - What happened when Satendra Singh met his Paro
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News