Arrest warrant against Congress MP Shashi Tharoor
August 14, 2019
An arrest warrant was issued against Congress leader and Member of Parliament Shashi Tharoor yesterday by a court in Kolkata.
The warrant was issued for a remark made by Tharoor in which he had used the words "Hindu Pakistan" in context to Bharatiya Janata Party coming to power.
Advocate Sumeet Chowdhary had filed a criminal case against Tharror for making anti-India comments during an event in Thiruvananthapuram last year.
Tharoor had said, "If they (BJP) win a repeat in the Lok Sabha, our democratic constitution as we understand it will not survive as they will have all the elements they need to tear apart the constitution of India and write a new one."
"That new one will be the one which will enshrine principles of Hindu Rashtra, that will remove equality for minorities, that will create a Hindu Pakistan and that isn't what Mahatama Gandhi, Nehru, Sardar Patel, Maulana Azad and great heroes of freedom struggle fought for," he had added
As per Chowdhary the comments were an insult to the secular status of the country and hurt religious sentiments. Tharoor who is known for his witty communication skills, had refused to apologies for his comment.
The court had earlier summoned Tharoor to appear before it and on non-compliance a warrant had to be issued.
Social media was abuzz with the news of the arrest warrant as Tharoor is quite popular for his vast vocabulary.
Anai Komagan tweeted," I feel sad for the court judge. He will have to undergo special training in English now."
"Shashi Tharoor often makes obnoxious comment#He should think first that he is an Indian and Member of Parliament# The Kolkata court's issue arrest warrant against Tharoor based on a petition#for his remark 'Hindu Pakistan' is to be treated seriously#punished properly, tweeted Pallathsivasankaran
Watch in Sign Language
- No Indian soldiers killed by Pakistan, says Indian Army
August 17, 2019
- UN Security Council holds meeting about Kashmir
August 17, 2019
- Karnataka boy felicitated for bravery
August 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 15, 2019 Chandrayaan 2 heading towards the Moon
- Headlines August 15, 2019 Abhinandan Varthaman to get Vir Chakra on Independence Day
- Headlines August 17, 2019 UN Security Council holds meeting about Kashmir
- Lifestyle August 14, 2019 Round necked kurtas for women for that elegant, festive look
- Get-Hooked August 11, 2019 Trending stories on Newz Hook Aug 3 – Aug 8
- Headlines August 11, 2019 Omar Abdullah's party challenges Centre's move on J&K
- Events August 14, 2019 Dyslexia Awareness Workshop
- Get-Hooked August 16, 2019 Kuldeep Devendra Rawal wants to be a change maker using the power of music
- Get-Hooked August 11, 2019 Understanding High-functioning autism
- Get-Hooked August 16, 2019 Kellogg's Rice Krispies Treats' sensory love notes ease back to school transition for children with autism
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News