Chennai parent moves court over alleged selection irregularities in Special Olympics event
August 6, 2019
Selection of players for the Special Olympics International Football Championship in Chennai has been marred by allegations of corruption after a parent of a disabled child accused the selection committee of unfair practices. The parent, Ranjani Chandrasegar, has moved court seeking justice.
For the second time in a row, the selection process for the Special Olympics has been hit by allegations of unfair selection process. Last year, in 2018, many parents had accused senior officials in the state organisation of taking money.
This time too, many parents have alleged that not all of them were informed that trials were on and that there was favouritism involved. As a result, only some children got selected for the Special Olympics International Football Championship.
The Special Olympics are held every two years to showcase the talents of children with intellectual disabilities. The state-run organisation is responsible for identifying talented players from across the district.
However, this alleges Chennai parent Ranjani Chandrasegar is not taking place. She has moved the Madras High Court asking that the international event be cancelled until the selection process is looked into and clear guidelines are set for the selection process.
The Tamil Nadu state level football selections have not been conducted and most children did not get the chance to showcase their potential and ability that could have led them to become a part of the Special Olympics team. They select and train the athlete candidates whose parents pay or for undue favouritism, whereby special sort of preference of selection is given to their wards while leaving deserving candidates in dark. - Ranjani Chandrasegar, Petitioner
The petition also accused key officials of misusing funds. These officials are the State commissioner for Persons with DisabilitiesJ Paul Devasagayam, who is also Area Director Special Olympics Bharat - Tamil Nadu and M S Johan Nagarajan, Senior Sports Manager, Special Olympics Asia Pacific, Chennai. The court had asked both officials to be present for the next hearing. Last year Dewasakayam who was accused by parents last year of asking for money to select players.
The High Court turned down Ranjani's plea to cancel the championship on the grounds that it is an international- level event. However, it said that three players with intellectual disabilities be allowed to participate in the event that is taking place from 3 to 7 August.. The three players are Dinesh Kumar, Prem Shankar and Kevin George .
The court has now ordered that an enquiry be held into the selection trials by a senior official and that the report be submitted by 20 August.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 13, 2019 Cold Eid celebrations in Srinagar as restrictions return
- Headlines August 17, 2019 No Indian soldiers killed by Pakistan, says Indian Army
- Get-Hooked August 16, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend 17 Aug-18 Aug
- Parasports August 15, 2019 India triumph at Physical Disability World Cricket Series, will BCCI finally take note?
- Headlines August 16, 2019 PM Modi's Independence Day address - Key points
- Headlines August 14, 2019 Expect little international support on J&K, says Pakistan foreign minister
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Trending stories on Newz Hook Aug 9 – Aug 16
- Get-Hooked August 11, 2019 Trending stories on Newz Hook Aug 3 – Aug 8
- Events August 13, 2019 Inclusive Walkathon
- Events August 14, 2019 Traffic Awareness By Physically Challenged Friends
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News