Reports of rift within Indian cricket team to be probed
July 16, 2019
Since India was ousted in the semi-final of the 2019 World Cup, there have been talks about the problem areas where the team fell short. There are also reports that the team was too dependent on captain Virat Kohli and his deputy Rohit Sharma when it came to scoring runs.
Given all this, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is also keen to discuss the idea of split captaincy. Speaking to the media, a BCCI official said that India could look at the option of having Rohit lead the team in the shorter format while Kohli continues in Tests.
This would be the right time for Rohit to take over the mantle of the captaincy in the 50-over format. There has been immense support to the present captain and the management and it is time to plan ahead for the next World Cup and for that the existing ideas and plans need a fresh look. We all know some areas need a relook. Rohit would be the right man for the job. - Board of Control for Cricket in India
The biggest concern is the talks of different camps and rumours of differences between Kohli and Rohit. That could be damaging for Indian cricket. A review meeting will take place with coach Ravi Shastri, captain Kohli and chief selector MSK Prasad in the presence of the Committee of Administrators (CoA).
A BCCI official said that the meeting will get to the bottom of such reports. The last time there was such a meeting was during the Test against West Indies in Hyderabad in 2018 when Kohli and Rohit had differences when it came to resting players in the IPL keeping the World Cup in mind.
The handling of Ambati Rayudu is likely to come up during the review as well. The team management will be asked why he was used for the final series against Australia, before the World Cup if the selectors were not convinced he was a certainty for the number four slot in the World Cup. Rayudu was named a reserve in the World Cup-bound team but wasn't called even after injury setbacks. This led him to retire from all cricket.
The presence of three wicketkeepers in the side, especially Dinesh Karthik, who has not played ODI cricket for a long time and had a bad IPL will be talked about. Karthik, MS Dhoni and Rishabh Pant were all part of the various teams during the World Cup.
The third issue could be Dhoni's batting position in the semi-final loss in Manchester. There is criticism over the move to send him at number seven after the team had been reduced to 5/3 in a chase of 240.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility August 20, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Sabke Liye initiative wins Future Retail Limited national disability award
- Headlines August 17, 2019 No Indian soldiers killed by Pakistan, says Indian Army
- Lifestyle August 22, 2019 Kurtas for men - Feast your eyes on some amazing designs
- Headlines August 20, 2019 Death toll rises in monsoon fury at Himachal Pradesh
- Get-Hooked August 18, 2019 Understanding Autism and Head banging
- Get-Hooked August 18, 2019 Tips to lead a healthy lifestyle when you are an amputee
- Events August 21, 2019 Ageing with Grace Workshop for Seniors
- Headlines August 22, 2019 Pakistan to seek help of world court on J&K
- Parasports August 20, 2019 “Never give up, live life to the fullest”- My Take by triple amputee & Trekker Sekhar Goud
- Headlines August 18, 2019 Deepa Malik wins Khel Ratna
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines August 17, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News