Curfew in Srinagar, people told to stay home
August 12, 2019
Srinagar is under curfew again, two days after the Centre and the Jammu and Kashmir police claimed that the situation in the union territory is peaceful. Police vehicles were on the streets making announcements on loudspeakers asking people to go back home. Shopkeepers were told to close down their establishments.
The police has tweeted that no violence was reported anywhere in the union territory. This was in response to Congress leader Rahul Gandhi's statement that the situation had become worse.
The situation in Jammu and Kashmir is peaceful and no violence has been reported from anywhere in the state. There has been no untoward incident barring minor stone-pelting which was dealt with on the spot and was nipped in the bud. - Jammu & Kashmir Police
The Centre has issued a statement that people should not believe in rumours about alleged incidents of firing in the Kashmir Valley. It said that there was a lot of crowd for shopping on Friday for Eid. Barring some protests in the past few days, involving crowds of not more than 20 people, there has been no serious incidents.:There have been a few stray protests in Srinagar and Baramulla and none of these involved a crowd of more than 20 people", said a spokesperson from the Home Ministry.
National Security Advisor Ajit Doval, who is in Jammu and Kashmir, was seen in a video talking to locals to show things were normal.
Nearly 400 politicians including former chief ministers Omar Abdullah and Mehbooba Mufti are under arrest. The BJP-led centre had scrapped the special status accorded to Jammu and Kashmir through a presidential order last week. Abdullah's party National Conference has appealed in the Supreme Court against the government's move to scrap Jammu and Kashmir's special status and divide the state into two union territories.
Watch in Sign Language
- No Indian soldiers killed by Pakistan, says Indian Army
August 17, 2019
- UN Security Council holds meeting about Kashmir
August 17, 2019
- Karnataka boy felicitated for bravery
August 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 13, 2019 Cold Eid celebrations in Srinagar as restrictions return
- Get-Hooked August 15, 2019 Visually impaired singer Muskan uses music to connect with the larger world
- Headlines August 16, 2019 PM Modi's Independence Day address - Key points
- Events August 14, 2019 Special Buddies Program
- Parasports August 11, 2019 India sends largest ever contingent of shuttlers to 2019 Thailand Para Badminton International
- Education August 12, 2019 A YouTuber by chance, Husna Ameen proves disability is no barrier to pursue dreams
- Headlines August 12, 2019 Priyanka responds to criticism over tweet
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Alleged sexual harassment of child with autism in Kerala highlights need for tougher rules
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Trending stories on Newz Hook Aug 9 – Aug 16
- Headlines August 11, 2019 Congress chooses Sonia Gandhi as new President
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines August 6, 2019
Headlines August 13, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News