Death toll rises, lakhs left homeless in Assam floods
July 17, 2019
Floods in Assam are taking a toll on more lives and leaving lakhs of people homeless. The incessant rains that began last week have not yet stopped adding to the number of deaths in the north-eastern state of India. According to reports, 15 people were killed in landslides and floods. The state government had issued a red alert on Monday after most of the districts in the state were completely cut off. Many people took to social media to discuss about the insensitivity of the central government in lending a helping hand during this tough time.
Over 42.86 lakh people are affected but still no sign of any concern by mainland India who went crazy for Kerela last year. #AssamFloods is not trending and being an Assamese I know it never will. We're only Indians when they need our support and not the other way around-Dibyajyoti Das, Twitter User.
Some of the worst-hit parts of the state includes Barpeta, Morigaon, Nagaon and Goalpara. Brahmaputra, one of the largest rivers in the world, flows through Assam. The river that had already reached dangerous levels last week, is now on the verge of over flowing which will lead to more casualties. Relief camps have been set up in various parts of Assam which are already overcrowded.
The Kaziranga National Park, one of the most sought after tourist destinations in the state has been fully submerged in water. Hundreds of endangered wild animals have died at the park.
"Assam floods have led to the death of a total of 225 animals in Kaziranga National Park, the #worldheritagesite The dead animals include 178 hog dears, 15 rhinos, 4 elephants and 1 tiger. If this is not an issue to put immediate focus on than I don't know what is", tweeted Kritika Hazarika.
The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) has been deployed across the state to carry on with rescue operations. Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi met with Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal to take a review of the situation better.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Kerala nun seeks justice from the Vatican
- Events August 21, 2019 Workshop on Nayi Disha Resource Library
- Accessibility August 20, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Sabke Liye initiative wins Future Retail Limited national disability award
- Parasports August 22, 2019 #IStandIndependent - Amidst hardships, Manoj Kumar pursues his love for sports with determination & hard work
- Get-Hooked August 24, 2019 Trending stories on Newz Hook Aug 17 – Aug 23
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Ex-minister Arun Jaitley on life support
- Headlines August 17, 2019 UN Security Council holds meeting about Kashmir
- Get-Hooked August 21, 2019 14 year old Joel Biju has overcome a disability to finish over 1000 paintings in one year
- Technology August 23, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Low cost foot orthosis wins Aneesh Karma wins Universal Design Award 2019
- Headlines August 20, 2019 Death toll rises in monsoon fury at Himachal Pradesh
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines August 16, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News