India celebrates with Dutee Chand
July 12, 2019
India has lost at the ICC cricket world cup. But there is definitely good news to cheer from the sports front. Sprinter Dutee Chand bagged gold medal in the women’s 100 metre event at the 30th World Universiade in Italy’s Naples with a record of 11.32 seconds. Chand has added a golden feather to her cap by being the first Indian to win a gold in any edition of the games. This super talented youngster took to her Twitter account to express her happiness after the win.
Pull me down, I will come back stronger!-Dutee Chand, Indian Sprinter.
23 year old Chand who hails from Odisha has already broken many records before breaking this latest one at WUG. She has participated in international games including World Junior Athletics Championship and Asian Games to bring home laurels. Indian President Ramnath Kovind and Union Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju were amongst ones to congratulate Chand on her terrific win.
“Congratulations @DuteeChand for winning the 100m sprint at the Universiade, the World University Games, in Naples. This is India’s first such gold and a moment of immense pride for our country. Please keep up the effort, and look to greater glory at the Olympics #PresidentKovind”, tweeted Indian President Ramnath Kovind.
While we lament our cricket loss, let’s celebrate a world beyond cricket! Dutee Chand became the first Indian to win a gold medal in 100mt clocking 11.32s at the Summer Universiade in Napoli.. way to go!”, tweeted journalist Rajdeep Sardesai.
Chand is a student of the Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology at Bhubaneswar.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked July 20, 2019 Parenting Corner - Adults with Autism
- Get-hooked July 18, 2019 #RareDiseases - Poor awareness & support among the challenges people with Sturge-Weber syndrome face in India
- Events July 18, 2019 Conference – Deglobalishing Disability : Texts and Contexts
- Headlines July 17, 2019 Death toll rises, lakhs left homeless in Assam floods
- Parasports July 17, 2019 India Divyang Cricket Team is raring to make its mark in first ever world series
- Headlines July 18, 2019 Hrithik Roshan’s Super 30 made tax-free in Bihar
- Events July 16, 2019 Open Voices Conference
- Get-hooked July 18, 2019 Trolled for a disability, UPSC topper Ira Singhal highlights need for inclusive education
- Get-hooked July 16, 2019 Skills training programme for people with autism in Ernakulam
- Events July 18, 2019 RUN for Wheels Marathon
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News