England wins 2019 World Cup trophy
July 15, 2019
Yesterday was the final match of the 2019 World Cup Tournament. Team England became champions and defeated New Zealand after the match went to the Super Over. The match outcome was decided based on 'Boundary count back'.
New Zealand dismissed England for 241 runs in 50 overs when the target was 242, making it the first final match in the World Cup to be tied.
The two teams made 15 runs each in the Super Over and then the decision was made based on boundaries hit during the match.
England won the world cup by hitting more boundaries in the match. England had scored 26 boundaries while New Zealand had hit 17.
Captain Eoin Morgan said, "It's been an absolutely incredible journey ... I still can't quite believe it."
Ben Stokes, who scored 84 of 98 balls was named Man of the Final becoming the first-ever England player to win the Man of the World Cup Final award.
New Zealand captain Kane Williamson won the title of Player of the World Cup. He scored 578 runs in ten 2019 World Cup matches at an average of 82.57. He was disappointed on losing the trophy and said, "Just gutted ... There's a lot of disappointment."
"That was a bit of a shame, wasn't it? You just hope it doesn't happen in moments like that. You can nitpick, but perhaps it just wasn't meant to be for us. It is perhaps tough to review the match, and such small margins," he also said.
Indian cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar tweeted after the match, " A game that ebbed and flowed from the 1st ball to the 612th! Feel for New Zealand who did everything that England did and still fell short. Congratulations to England."
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 24, 2019 PM Modi talks about 'New India' at France
- Parasports August 21, 2019 Indian para swimmers successfully swim the Catalina Channel, set Asia record
- Parasports August 19, 2019 Para shuttler Pramod Bhagat's Arjuna Award glory marred by lack of recognition for head coach
- Headlines August 20, 2019 Death toll rises in monsoon fury at Himachal Pradesh
- Get-Hooked August 18, 2019 Kerala minister K K Shailaja steps in for deaf child affected in the floods
- Headlines August 22, 2019 BJP leader files complaint against Anurag Kashyap
- Headlines August 23, 2019 Singer Mika apologizes to nation
- Headlines August 22, 2019 Pakistan to seek help of world court on J&K
- Headlines August 20, 2019 Primary schools reopen in J&K
- Technology August 24, 2019 #InclusionChamps: Nekram Upadhyay’s May Ability Kit wins him national disability award for 2019
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News