England’s World Cup win clouded by ICC rule controversy
July 17, 2019
England's win at the World Cup 2019 cricket tournament has been clouded by the controversy that has erupted over whether a World Cup final should be decided on the highest number of boundaries hit by any side. In fact, New Zealand captain Kane Williamson did not even know about it when he lost the final on the field?
Many cricketing experts have criticised the rules. Ex- cricketers Gautam Gambhir, Yuvraj Singh, Australian Dean Jones to Brett Lee spoke out on social media against the rules.
Don't understand how the game of such proportions, the #CWC19Final, is finally decided on who scored the most boundaries. A ridiculous rule. Should have been a tie. - Gautam Gambhir, Former cricketer
"It's a horrible way to decide the winner. This rule has to change," said Lee, who won the Cup it in 2003 after New Zealand lost because they hit fewer boundaries than England. This was the only way to decide the winners after 100 overs and a Super Over couldn't break the deadlock.
Sanjay Manjrekar felt there should not have been one winner but two because no one lost. The sentiment was shared by Bishan Singh Bedi, the former India captain and selector. Yuvraj Singh also said that the ICC should take a re-look at the rules.
While the New Zealand captain maintained a calm front, fellow teammate Jimmy Neesham took to Twitter to post emotional messages for his supporters. "Sorry we couldn't deliver what you so badly wanted" and later added, "Kids, don't take up sport. Take up baking or something. Die at 60 really fat and happy."
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-Hooked August 23, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend 24 Aug-25 Aug
- Headlines August 24, 2019 United Nation supports Priyanka Chopra
- Headlines August 21, 2019 Chandrayaan-2 enters Moon’s orbit
- Get-Hooked August 18, 2019 Understanding Autism and Head banging
- Events August 21, 2019 Workshop on Nayi Disha Resource Library
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Parenting Corner- Motivating children
- Technology August 18, 2019 Tech startup Wavio develops device that will help deaf people see sounds
- Headlines August 21, 2019 Kamal Nath’s nephew arrested for fraud
- Headlines August 23, 2019 Former union Minister P Chidambaram in CBI custody until Monday
- Headlines August 20, 2019 Death toll rises in monsoon fury at Himachal Pradesh
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News