Expect little international support on J&K, says Pakistan foreign minister
August 14, 2019
Shah Mehmood Qureshi, the Pakistan Foreign Minister has asked his countrymen to be realistic regarding the international support on India's move on Jammu and Kashmir. Telling Pakistanis not to live in a "fool's paradise", Qureshi said that Pakistan should not expect support at the United Nations Security Council regarding its opposition to India's decision to end the special status granted to J&K.
Giving vent to emotions is easy and raising objections is much easier. However it is difficult to understand the issue and move forward. They are not waiting for you with garlands in their hands. Any members out of the P-5 nations can be a hurdle... Do not live in the fool paradise. - Shah Mehmood Qureshi, Pakistan Foreign Minister
Qureshi made these comments at a press conference and his statement comes a day after Russia becomes the first UNSC member to support India over the removal of Article 370. Russia said India's action was under the constitutional framework. United States has so far stayed neutral and not taken sides. The US government has said there is no change in its policy on Kashmir and called on India and Pakistan to maintain restraint and hold direct dialogue to resolve their differences.
Speaking to the US media, India's ambassador there Harsh Vardhan Shringla said that President Donald Trump had made it clear that there was no offer to mediate either. "President Trump has made it very clear that his offer to mediate on Jammu and Kashmir is dependent on both India and Pakistan accepting it. Since India has not accepted the offer of mediation, he has made it clear that this is not on the table anymore". He also said that the measures taken by the Indian government in Kashmir are temporary and preventive in nature.
Only China has expressed concern over the current developments in Jammu and Kashmir.
Qureshi, who visited China last week, said the government there would support Pakistan in the UNSC over Kashmir.
India maintains that J&K is an integral part of India and that the issue is internal. Pakistan has initiated a series of decisions, including downgrading bilateral relations with India and suspending bilateral trade, halting of Samjhauta Express and Thar Express trains from its side and banning of Indian movies from Pakistani cinemas.
Watch in Sign Language
- No Indian soldiers killed by Pakistan, says Indian Army
August 17, 2019
- UN Security Council holds meeting about Kashmir
August 17, 2019
- Karnataka boy felicitated for bravery
August 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-Hooked August 11, 2019 Understanding High-functioning autism
- Accessibility August 14, 2019 “People with disabilities working in health care inform better care & access” – Dr Lisa Meeks
- Technology August 15, 2019 'Smart Car Seat for Differently-Abled' gets a thumbs up for innovation & creativity
- Events August 14, 2019 Pop-up and Sign Language session
- Headlines August 11, 2019 Congress chooses Sonia Gandhi as new President
- Events August 14, 2019 Touch For Health Level 1
- Parasports August 15, 2019 #IStandIndependent - Disability led Madhusudan to discover a talent for wheelchair tennis
- Headlines August 13, 2019 Cold Eid celebrations in Srinagar as restrictions return
- Get-Hooked August 12, 2019 Challenge your disability to challenge people who think you can't make it in life - By Ephraim Ddiba
- Headlines August 17, 2019 UN Security Council holds meeting about Kashmir
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines August 13, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News