"Focus on your abilities, not disability" - My Take by Ira Singhal, IAS Officer
July 23, 2019
Ira Singhal, Deputy Commissioner of the North Delhi Municipal Corporation, recently in the news after she targeted in an abusive social media attack, won kudos for her tact and toughness. In My Take, she talks about the influences that shaped her journey and inner toughness.
I was born in Meerut and moved to Delhi with my family 25 years back. After class 12 at a mainstream school, I did a degree in engineering and then an MBA in Finance and Marketing before sitting for the Civil Services exams.
I was working as a Strategy Manager of Cadbury's and I felt the need to make a difference in someone's life. I felt that I must help people in need and that is why I decided to take the Civil Service exams. Today, I can work for both people with and without disabilities. That is one of the best things about my job.
I have been blessed with a supportive family. My parents have always stood by me through thick and thin. My father was an engineer and my mother an insurance advisor. I am the only daughter and has been lucky to get the abundant love of my parents. Since we live in a joint family, my relatives have backed me in all my ventures. Their support has added to my strengths.
I am happy doing my job because I can reach out to many people who need my help since I have a brilliant profile. Going further, I want to concentrate more on my job and keep helping others. Right now, I am part of a handful of government ventures to empower people from all walks of life.
I would say that there is a lot of discrimination towards the disabled community in general. It was way lesser when I was in school, but more in college.
Currently, I hardly find time to get engaged in other activities owing to a busy schedule. But I love reading and travelling to new places. I want to keep aspiring to work for more people around me.
Focus on your abilities and not your disabilities. Cultivate things that interest you are work towards making your dreams a reality. If you think negatively, people around you are also going to feel the same way about you. Hence, concentrate on only positives and what you can do.
Watch in Sign Language
- Delhi Disabilities Commissioner welcomes order setting up of Special Courts to try offences under RPWD Act 2016
August 23, 2019
- Disabled people push for need of accessible & disabled-friendly Indian Railways
August 23, 2019
- Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
August 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports August 19, 2019 Indian para athletes hold the flag high at 2019 World Para Athletics Grand Prix
- Parasports August 19, 2019 Para shuttler Pramod Bhagat's Arjuna Award glory marred by lack of recognition for head coach
- Accessibility August 20, 2019 Ministry advisory on accessible public transport raises more questions
- Accessibility August 23, 2019 Delhi Disabilities Commissioner welcomes order setting up of Special Courts to try offences under RPWD Act 2016
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Heavy rains bring down temperatures in Delhi
- Technology August 24, 2019 #InclusionChamps: Nekram Upadhyay’s May Ability Kit wins him national disability award for 2019
- Headlines August 20, 2019 Death toll rises in monsoon fury at Himachal Pradesh
- Accessibility August 19, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Ankita Gulati wins Universal Design Award 2019 for TouchVision
- Technology August 22, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Prashant Gade wins Universal Design Award 2019 for Inali Arm
- Get-Hooked August 18, 2019 Kerala minister K K Shailaja steps in for deaf child affected in the floods
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News