Karnataka trust vote adjourned to Monday
July 20, 2019
With the Congress-Janata Dal Secular coalition in Karnataka ignoring the two deadlines given by the Karnataka Governor to prove its majority during a trust vote, the Speaker adjourned the Assembly till Monday.
This is after the ruling coalition questioned the Governor's power to issue such a direction. Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy cited a Supreme Court verdict that a Governor cannot act as ombudsman of Legislature. He requested the Speaker to decide whether the Governor can set a deadline.
We have approached Supreme Court to contend two major issues: Parties have the right to issue whips to their legislators and this cannot be taken away by any court. When the house is in session, Governor can't issue directions or deadlines to when we should have a trust vote. - G Parameshwara, Karnataka deputy chief minister
Kumaraswamy has attacked the opposition BJP, accusing the party of offering Rs. 40-50 crore to MLAs to switch sides. The BJP has alleged the coalition is resorting to delaying tactics as it appears to be in a minority after losing the support of 18 lawmakers.
Sixteen legislators - 13 from the Congress and three from JDS - have resigned in the last two weeks. Two Independent legislators have withdrawn their support. If the resignations of the 15 MLAs who approached the Supreme Court are accepted, the ruling coalition's tally will drop to 101.
Kumaraswamy filed an application in Supreme Court seeking to establish the party's right to issue a whip to its MLAs. The application says that the Governor sent a communication directing that the confidence motion and the trust vote should be held before 1:30 PM on Friday.
In a dramatic turn of events, BJP staged an overnight dharna in the state assembly alleging deliberate delay by the ruling coalition in proving trust vote to buy time and save the government from crumbling.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-Hooked August 19, 2019 "Love can be limitless if people recognise, accept and celebrate a person with a difference" - Jasmina Khanna
- Parasports August 21, 2019 Indian para swimmers successfully swim the Catalina Channel, set Asia record
- Get-Hooked August 18, 2019 Tips to lead a healthy lifestyle when you are an amputee
- Technology August 20, 2019 New robots to assist sportspersons at 2020 Tokyo Paralympics
- Headlines August 22, 2019 BJP leader files complaint against Anurag Kashyap
- Parasports August 22, 2019 #IStandIndependent - Amidst hardships, Manoj Kumar pursues his love for sports with determination & hard work
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Parenting Corner- Motivating children
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News