Kumaraswamy calls for floor test amid political crisis
July 14, 2019
While Karnataka is going through a political crisis, Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy has called for a floor test in the assembly to prove the majority of his government. Kumaraswamy has asked the Assembly Speaker K R Ramesh Kumar to set the time for the proceedings.
In response to the floor test announcement by Kumaraswamy, Congress leader Siddaramaiah has also expressed confidence in the ongoing coalition. He has said,
"We are confident. That is why we are moving a vote of confidence motion." He added, "The BJP is afraid because they know there are black sheep in their party."
CM Kumaraswamy had earlier refused to resign when 16 MLAs had resigned putting the one-year-old Congress- JD(S) coalition in an unstable position. The MLAs are from both Congress and Janata Dal (Secular) including senior Congress leaders like Ramalinga Reddy.
In the meantime, Supreme Court has ordered that the Speaker K R Ramesh Kumar can follow protocol before accepting the resignations of the rebel MLAs and the matter will be heard again on Tuesday.
Congress leader and former Madhya Pradesh CM Digvijaya Singh has accused the BJP of buying MLAs and trying to topple the government in Karnataka. He said, "They are buying MLAs as if buying goods in a market." "I strongly condemn the way BJP was going about trying to buy MLAs in Karnataka," he also said.
BJP has denied any involvement in the political mess and state BJP president B.S.Yeddyurappa has said, "I am categorically reiterating that the BJP has absolutely no say on the issue."
Watch in Sign Language
- Death toll rises, lakhs left homeless in Assam floods
July 17, 2019
- England’s World Cup win clouded by ICC rule controversy
July 17, 2019
- Pakistan opens airspace after 140 days
July 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events July 16, 2019 International Autism Conference
- Accessibility July 11, 2019 Tamil Nadu government fails to introduce special courts, groups demands speedy action
- Headlines July 11, 2019 India lose semi-final to New Zealand
- Events July 11, 2019 Workshop: Behavior as a communication tool
- Get-hooked July 10, 2019 Spirited & strong minded, Preetha Thonnakkal lives life to the fullest
- Education July 10, 2019 Innovative English language skills programme for deaf kids spreads its wings to Sri Lanka
- Events July 11, 2019 Ask Me Anything
- Get-hooked July 16, 2019 Some tips to help a child with Down syndrome sleep better
- Get-hooked July 10, 2019 Twitter hashtag sets off important conversation about worst disability "compliments"
- Events July 16, 2019 Swaras and More @ Mitr Cafe
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News