PM Modi's Independence Day address - Key points
August 16, 2019
On India's 73rd Independence Day, Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the nation. He also hoisted the tricolor flag at the Red Fort for the sixth time ever since becoming the Prime Minister in 2014. Modi highlighted on why Article 370 was scrapped in Jammu and Kashmir. According to Modi, this was an inevitable move by the central government to bring peace and equality in the valley. Modi also added that India will have a chief of defence staff.
Our forces are courageous and always prepared to give a befitting answer to those who disturb tranquility in the nation. To further improve coordination and preparedness, India will now have a Chief of Defence Staff-Narendra Modi, Prime Minister of India.
Modi also said that his government will focus on water conservation. A huge amount has already been set aside for the purpose. Modi added that that he will work along with the people to fulfill their dreams and aspirations for a new India. Another thing that he highlighted was the need to control population explosion. According to him, keeping the family small is also an act of patriotism.
He pointed out that if India has taken steps against practices like 'Sati', female infanticide, dowry and child marriage, it is high time to ban triple talaq as well. After his speech, he interacted with children gathered at Red Fort. He was seen shaking hands with them and having small conversations as well.
Modi addressed the nation wearing a white kurta with a multi-colored turban on his head. Leaders from across the country wished India on its 73rd Independence Day.
Warmest felicitations to @narendramodi and the people of India on the happy occasion of India's. 73rd Independence Day. India is our neighbour and close friend and we shall continue working with the Indian Government to further strengthen the ties between Maldives and India", tweeted Ibrahim Mohamed Salih, President of Maldives.
"I see new chapters of friendship unfold for the two countries. But for today, I wish the people of India a happy Independence day. We pray for a peaceful and prosperous India", tweeted Lotay Tshering, Prime Minister of Bhutan.
Watch in Sign Language
- No Indian soldiers killed by Pakistan, says Indian Army
August 17, 2019
- UN Security Council holds meeting about Kashmir
August 17, 2019
- Karnataka boy felicitated for bravery
August 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility August 13, 2019 PM Modi's direction to develop app for disabled people welcomed
- Education August 12, 2019 A YouTuber by chance, Husna Ameen proves disability is no barrier to pursue dreams
- Get-Hooked August 14, 2019 Delhi Public School Bengaluru North brings an inclusive touch to its crowdfunding initiatives
- Get-Hooked August 12, 2019 A personal struggle inspired this elderly couple to start Balajothi Centre to empower disabled children
- Accessibility August 13, 2019 Foreign doctors question MCI guidelines regarding disabled medical aspirants ahead of crucial hearing
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Trending stories on Newz Hook Aug 9 – Aug 16
- Get-Hooked August 12, 2019 Challenge your disability to challenge people who think you can't make it in life - By Ephraim Ddiba
- Events August 14, 2019 Adolescent Training and Sex Education Workshop
- Employment August 11, 2019 These disabled women are making prosthetic aids that are enabling mobility for others
- Headlines August 12, 2019 68 lives lost in Kerala floods
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News