Omar Abdullah's party challenges Centre's move on J&K
August 11, 2019
The National Conference has filed a petition in the Supreme Court against the central government's move to take away the special status granted to Jammu and Kashmir and divide the state into two union territories. The petition has been filed by party MPs Akbar Lone and Hasnain Masoodi.
Former J&K chief minister Omar Abdullah's party has called the move illegal. Abdullah along with Mehbooba Mufti, also a former chief minister of the state along with hundreds of political leaders are under arrest. Thousands of troops have been posted across the state to prevent any trouble.
The petition filed by Lone and Masoodi, sought a direction from the top court to declare the Presidential Order relating to Article 370 as "unconstitutional, void and inoperative" in Jammu and Kashmir.
A BJP MP from Ladakh, Jamyang Tsering Namgyal, had welcomed the centre's move to make Ladakh a Union Territory. His speech in Parliament on the decision was praised by many BJP leaders, including Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Namgyal said the people of Ladakh had been fighting for this since independence.
If Ladakh is today underdeveloped, then Article 370 and Congress party are responsible for it. - Jamyang Tsering Namgyal, Ladakh MP
Meanwhile Srinagar District Magistrate Shahid Choudhary has claimed in a tweet that "restrictions have been eased in most parts of Srinagar". Phone and Internet services were also partly restored on Friday morning. This was to enable people to offer prayers and prepare for Eid celebrations next week. On 5 August, the Lok Sabha cleared the Centre's proposals to strip Jammu and Kashmir of its special status. This was a long-standing promise of the BJP. The state was carved into two Union territories that would allow New Delhi direct control in matters of law and order and other critical issues.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Heavy rains bring down temperatures in Delhi
- Education August 21, 2019 Happy Hands School is enabling deaf children in rural Odisha to learn in sign language
- Accessibility August 23, 2019 Delhi Disabilities Commissioner welcomes order setting up of Special Courts to try offences under RPWD Act 2016
- Headlines August 22, 2019 Ex-minister P Chidambaram arrested
- Headlines August 20, 2019 Death toll rises in monsoon fury at Himachal Pradesh
- Parasports August 22, 2019 #IStandIndependent - Amidst hardships, Manoj Kumar pursues his love for sports with determination & hard work
- Technology August 18, 2019 Tech startup Wavio develops device that will help deaf people see sounds
- Headlines August 23, 2019 Singer Mika apologizes to nation
- Get-Hooked August 24, 2019 Parenting Corner-Autism Myths
- Parasports August 20, 2019 “Never give up, live life to the fullest”- My Take by triple amputee & Trekker Sekhar Goud
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News