Over 50 people dead, 30 missing in Nepal floods
July 16, 2019
This year's devastating monsoons affected lakhs of people living in north-east India. Now, India's neighbouring Nepal has also been affected by rains which already killed over 50 people. According to reports, at least 30 people have gone missing in landslides and floods. The incessant rains have not stopped causing worry regarding more casualties. Even the national capital Kathmandu has been deeply affected by the rains. International communities expressed their grief over the current situation in Nepal.
I am deeply saddened to hear of the deadly monsoon floods in Nepal that caused the loss of lives of many & has affected more than a million others. My deepest condolences go out to the families of the deceased & those affected. My prayers are with you during this difficult period-Dr Wan Azizah Ismail, Deputy Prime Minister of Malaysia.
The rains that started on 11 July does not seem to be ending soon as the weather forecast has predicted heavy rains in the next few days as well. Many people lost their homes and thousands have been rescued from various parts of Nepal. Many portions of the land were submerged under water and major bridges connecting places also collapsed.
The government of Nepal has promised all possible help to people across the country. International agencies are also stepping up to help Nepal that has been badly affected by rains.
"Dozens dead in Nepal and India as rivers flood Kathmandu, other cities and villages, but news coverage is scant with networks focussed on New Orleans. Children of lesser gods I suppose", tweeted Author Tarek Fatah.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events August 21, 2019 GO PLAY - A Parent Education Program
- Get-Hooked August 21, 2019 14 year old Joel Biju has overcome a disability to finish over 1000 paintings in one year
- Headlines August 17, 2019 Karnataka boy felicitated for bravery
- Technology August 23, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Low cost foot orthosis wins Aneesh Karma wins Universal Design Award 2019
- Accessibility August 23, 2019 Delhi Disabilities Commissioner welcomes order setting up of Special Courts to try offences under RPWD Act 2016
- Events August 21, 2019 Vadhu Var Melawa
- Headlines August 21, 2019 Narendra Modi speaks to Donald Trump
- Headlines August 18, 2019 Deepa Malik wins Khel Ratna
- Headlines August 24, 2019 PM Modi talks about 'New India' at France
- Education August 24, 2019 CBSE Bareilly topper Mahima Shah appeals to PMO, Amit Shah to intervene in admission deadlock
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines August 11, 2019
Headlines August 17, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News