'Smart Car Seat for Differently-Abled' gets a thumbs up for innovation & creativity
August 15, 2019
In #TechThursday we feature Smart Car Seat for Differently-Abled, a new technology developed by students of a Goa engineering institute aims to help disabled and elderly people get in and out of a car without help.
This new tech aims to get people with disabilities out and about. Called Smart Car Seat for Differently-Abled this innovation by students of Don Bosco College of Engineering in Fatorda, Goa, enables users to enter and get out of cars easily.
And if you think this is cool, wait till you hear this. The special seat can be operated by users independently using mobile phones.
The seat has been designed such that it will rotate outwards when a person wants to enter a car and vice-versa when he/she wants to exit. All this is achieved with comfort.
Musthafa Thorappa, a wheelchair user from Kerala, who makes a living customising cars for people with disabilities, looks forward to using the smart car seat.
I feel this is a great technology which was much needed. For people who do not have any movement, it is a difficult task to enter and exit their cars even though we can customise operations according to their needs. I often get enquiries for something like this where the person can enter and exit without any external help. The needs of each disabled person varies. But something like a 'Smart Car Seat for Differently-Abled' is going to help all. - Musthafa Thorappa, Modifies cars
The developers say this will have a broad user base with not just disabled people but even those with arthritis, back and knee pain benefitting. Even elderly people will find this a blessing. All that the user needs to do is press the ingress button where the seat rotates and sit. Pressing the return button will take them back to the original seat. The same is to be done while exiting.
Rajesh, a wheelchair user from Trivandrum is a passionate driver who loves exploring new places in his car and is happy to hear of such an innovation.
"This is a great initiative by students. I have seen many people struggling to get inside or come outside of their cars. With this new smart seat, they do not have to rely on anyone else and can drive around independently. This is a much needed device which is truly revolutionary", says Rajesh.
Watch in Sign Language
- #InclusionChamps: Nekram Upadhyay’s May Ability Kit wins him national disability award for 2019
August 24, 2019
- Delhi Disabilities Commissioner welcomes order setting up of Special Courts to try offences under RPWD Act 2016
August 23, 2019
- #InclusionChamps – Low cost foot orthosis wins Aneesh Karma wins Universal Design Award 2019
August 23, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 17, 2019 No Indian soldiers killed by Pakistan, says Indian Army
- Headlines August 22, 2019 Pakistan to seek help of world court on J&K
- Headlines August 18, 2019 ‘Mission Mangal’ gets grand opening at box office
- Headlines August 17, 2019 UN Security Council holds meeting about Kashmir
- Technology August 20, 2019 New robots to assist sportspersons at 2020 Tokyo Paralympics
- Parasports August 19, 2019 Para shuttler Pramod Bhagat's Arjuna Award glory marred by lack of recognition for head coach
- Headlines August 17, 2019 Karnataka boy felicitated for bravery
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Ex-minister Arun Jaitley on life support
- Technology August 21, 2019 #InclusionChamps: Bleetech’s human-centric approach wins them Universal Design Award 2019
- Parasports August 20, 2019 “Never give up, live life to the fullest”- My Take by triple amputee & Trekker Sekhar Goud
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News