Technology July 18, 2022
Torchit – Innovation with a Mission
Torchit is a Govt. of India-aided social-tech startup that empowers people with disabilities to lead a dignified, independent, and meaningful life through the design & development of state-of-the-art technological solutions using Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning, which can help them lead more independent and fulfilled lives.
Its mission is to create a sustainable eco-system that fosters inclusive growth for people with disabilities through enabling assistive mobility and accessibility, financial sustenance, and literacy.
Innovative Solutions from Torchit
- Saarthi– The new smart cane is a 99.7% accurate obstacle detection device that helps a blind user to walk comfortably in any kind of setup. They have more than 80,000 users across India, South Korea & Africa using this product and are very happy with it.
- Able – eBraille– A revolutionary application for making multilingual writing accessible for blind people through on-device note-taking & publishing capabilities, also multilingual TTS to convert any document into audio and interpret it and the compatibility to integrate with any smartphone for enabling Bluetooth typing functionality through the conventional keyboard.
- Handicare– Mobility board for people with mobility impairment to walk indoors and in congested areas. Very simple to use yet effective technology helps them in movement without their hand touching the ground. The product works on maneuvering mechanics where there are handlebars, that can be wiggled right or left such that the front wheels can be maneuvered for easier indoor mobility.
- Smart Crutches– The futuristic design incorporating its use in all terrains along with the advantage of the anti-slip facility makes the Torchit Smart-Crutch unique. It improves the quality of life of the people by enhancing stability, reducing shock absorption (40-45%), & reducing the effort of walking by 25%.
We are a social enterprise on a mission of working towards making Earth a better place for people with disabilities. We have gained support and recognition from Indian & International organisations like WHO, USAID, NAB, BPA, BRA, FICCI, Tata trust, Facebook & many others. I take pride to share that, recently we were honored with National Award by the President of India for making the most affordable and innovative Assistive Solutions for the disability community; We were also appreciated by our Hon. PM of India for creating a social impact.” Hunny Bhagchandani, Founder, TorchIt.
Torchit claims to have:
- 500+ Visually Impaired Trainers Associated
- 8,500+ people with disabilities employed
- 100,000+ people with disabilities Uplifted
- 500,000+ Lives Impacted Directly
The Torchit team is constantly working towards creating solutions that can empower people with disabilities and help them live independently. Their upcoming solution named ‘Jyoti’ is a smart glass that is AI & ML powered smart image detection wearable aid, which gives output in audio along with Depth sensing. All the product assembly and operations including training are led by Peoples with Disabilities from understanding the need & providing feedback on developed products to assembling the devices to training being provided to the new users.
To know more about the various initiatives by Torchit visit their website: Torchit: Empowering Vision Beyond Sight
Check out this video on Saarthi: New Smart Cane
Support us to make NewzHook Sustainable – Make a Contribution Today
We need your continued support to enable us work towards Changing Attitudes towards Disability. Help us in our attempt to share the voices of people with disabilities that enable them to participate in the society on an equal footing!