Understanding Essential Oils for Autism, ADHD
July 14, 2019
Children with developmental disorders can get anxious and stressed due to their environment due to oversensitivity. This affects their health, growth and development is also a constant worry for the parents. Nature has a cure for theses worries in the form of essential oils.
Essential oils are derived from plants and are distilled into a highly concentrated form. The oils can be extracted from leaves, flowers, roots, or stems of a plant. These oils have medicinal and therapeutic benefits and have been found to benefit children with autism, ADHD etc.
The use of essential oils for children with autism or ADHD has become popular in recent times. NewzHook spoke to some parents and experts in the field to understand if the oils really work or they are just a fad.
Dr Rajarajeshwari Venugopal from Chennai recommends the use of essential oils to help the children feel calmer and reduce their stress.
Essential oils increase the ionic flow in the body and are very good in dealing with issues such as anxiety, stress and sleeplessness. Electrolytes or ions help our bodies to function properly, ions enable the flow of electrical signals through the body. Essential oils such as lavender can fight sleeplessness and are super effective for hyperactive children. Dr Rajarajeshwari Venugopal, Therapist
Parents who use essential oils claim that they have seen positive changes in behavioral and social interactions of their children. The calming and relaxing effect of the oils does have an impact on children with ASD or those who are hyperactive.
Being able to stay calm helps the kids to get rest and allows them to focus on activities. Being able to get proper sleep also contributes to their physical and mental health. Fathima Sheikh, a parent has been using essential oils for her son and says that the effect of oils varies from child to child. Not every child with autism will respond in the same way. “Every child with autism is unique and will have a different response to aromas. Parents can try the oils and see for themselves how the child feels about the smells. It is advisable to go slow when using the oils and consider the likes and dislikes of your child. Essential oils have definitely helped my son feel less anxious and improved his focus, “says Fathima Sheikh For children essential oils are not used directly and can be mixed with other carrier oils such as coconut oil, olive oil.
Rosemary, Lavender, Peppermint, Cedar wood are some commonly used essential oils for children with autism. These can be used in bath water, for massage, on skin, or through a diffuser.
A few points to consider
The effect of essential oil will not be the same on every child. Some may show more effect while others may not respond.
Always ensure that you are getting genuine and real products and not fakes.
Always use essential oils mixed with carrier oils.
Consult a doctor or expert before trying out essential oils.
- They are expensive but are highly concentrated and last longer since only a few drops are used at a time.
It is advisable to consult an expert before starting the use of essential oils as some children may have allergies or get affected by side effects.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events July 11, 2019 SignAlong - Sign language workshop
- Events July 16, 2019 International Autism Conference
- Technology July 12, 2019 Excessive TV watching could trigger symptoms of ADHD in kids, says study
- Get-hooked July 16, 2019 Some tips to help a child with Down syndrome sleep better
- Headlines July 17, 2019 Death toll rises, lakhs left homeless in Assam floods
- Events July 11, 2019 Gala Dance Party
- Get-hooked July 10, 2019 Spirited & strong minded, Preetha Thonnakkal lives life to the fullest
- Headlines July 11, 2019 Karnataka political drama unfolds outside Mumbai hotel
- Get-hooked July 13, 2019 #RareDiseases - Organisation for Rare Diseases in India is out to change perceptions
- Headlines July 10, 2019 Karnataka political crisis intensifies
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News