With 23 medals, Indian Para athletes rank second in 2019 World Para Athletics Junior Championships
August 6, 2019
Indian Para athletes have put up a splendid show at the second edition of the World Para Athletics Junior Championships at Nottwil in Switzerland. India ranked second in the overall medals tally, with 23 medals.
The world's best young Para athletes were seen in action at the second edition of the World Para Athletics Junior Championships in Nottwil, Switzerland, from 1-4 August 2019.
The four-day event, which started in 2017, was held at the Sport Arena of the Swiss Paraplegic Centre Over 320 athletes from 44 countries took part. The event is seen as a pathway for talented young athletes towards senior elite level Para athletics, major championships and Paralympic Games.
Under the motto Face the Challenge, athletes from 14 to 19 years of age compete against each other with the aim of getting a step closer to their dreams of the Paralympic Games.
With 26 athletes, India had the biggest delegation in Nottwil followed by Spain with 23 and Germany and USA both with 20. United States topped the overall medal table for the second time with 16 gold, with India at second place with 11 Gold, 6 Silver and 6 Bronze medals. India also topped the Under-20 medal table with 8 Gold, 4 Silver and 3 bronze medals.
Our junior Para athletes have performed amazingly at the just concluded World Para Athletics Junior Championships, setting a clear future road map with a roar that -Beware of India, a giant has now awakened!. - Gursharan Singh, Interim President, Paralympics Committee of India
India's performance was quite remarkable given the tough competition and was taken special note of by Andrew Parsons, President, International Paralympic Committee who sent a special congratulatory message for the Indian continent. Tarek Souei, CEO, Asian Paralympic Committee added, "The future is for India, so please keep investing in these young boys and girls and you will see them also at the top of the table in 2021 Asian Youth ParaGames".
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility August 13, 2019 Foreign doctors question MCI guidelines regarding disabled medical aspirants ahead of crucial hearing
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Alleged sexual harassment of child with autism in Kerala highlights need for tougher rules
- Headlines August 16, 2019 Virat Kohli sets new record
- Accessibility August 16, 2019 Independence Day honours for Infinity Park, Chennai's largest inclusive park for kids
- Parasports August 16, 2019 Victorious India Divyang Cricket Team to land in Mumbai tomorrow
- Headlines August 17, 2019 Karnataka boy felicitated for bravery
- Headlines August 14, 2019 Arrest warrant against Congress MP Shashi Tharoor
- Events August 14, 2019 Unity through Performing Arts
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Parenting Corner- Motivating children
- Events August 14, 2019 Let your hands do the talking
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News